Monday, November 22, 2010

Where Were You The Day Kennedy Was Shot?



Where Were You The Day Kennedy Was Shot?


in a womb

in Brooklyn

8 months

into it


mom had moved

to new york

from dallas

years before


they called her

"tex"

she was tall

she was loud

she filled a

room

like the

lone star

lady

from the

yellow rose

state


there were

not many

folks from

dallas

in brooklyn

back then


after it happened

she stood out

like a target


she was shunned

she was spit on

she was cursed

as the world

became

very cold

very lonely


even my father

became distant

no one knows

why

to this day


mom's old boss

jack ruby

shot oswald

in the belly

while I was still

in my mom's

womb

as people

watched

on new

television sets


I was born

a month later

on christmas day


a month

after the

birth

my pops

caught

a couple

of slugs

in the back

of his head


mom took me

up in her arms

to raise me in

sunny callifornia

far from the snow

that fell at the corner

of flatbush and church

the day I was born


but, that question of

where were you the day

they shot the president dead?

that used to be significant

now it means less and less


many assassins

have plied their trade

since that day in dallas


many bullets

have cleaved hope

away from fate


many have fallen

many are never

remembered

anymore

at all


which makes me wonder, to myself

where will we all be when the next bullet flies?

No comments: